Sunday, May 22, 2011

More from China...

Once in Xi'an, I was able to post pictures more easily.  Here are a few favorite memories...even if they were already posted.

May 11, 2010, we celebrated Emma's 2nd birthday and made a trip to see the Terra Cotta Warriors.


Hi nana!  I will be home soon!



Our guide got a cake to help us celebrate Emma's special day.




She didn't seem to mind the Chinese tradition of icing on the face last year...

Emma's first visit to that lovely coffee joint!  She was sound asleep...maybe she needed an espresso?!?!


When I saw these golden arches, my heart leapt for joy!  Sadly, they didn't have iced tea!

Emma made a purchase though!


The next day was incredibly emotional.  I had information on Emma's finding spot and our guide arranged for us to go there.  She was found at the pediatric gate of this hospital.  My heart wants to say that her family left her here because they knew she would be safe until she was found.  I can't describe the emotions I felt as I walked down that hallway.  I don't know who walked that hallway with her the first time...I don't know how they felt...did they wait around watching to someone to find her?  Or did they just walk away?  I can't imagine...

After we left there, we went to Emma's orphanage.  She was so loved and well cared for here.  I am so thankful for the nannies who cared for her!

I was very apprehensive.  I didn't want to let her out of the sling.  I was worried about how this would affect our attachment.  Almost immediately, a nanny greeted us and  wanted to hold Emma.  She was unsure.


She held her for a bit and when I took her back, I just held her tighter than ever.  This nanny also totally blessed me out and called me a "bad momma" for not having her dressed warmly enough.  I felt horrible.  I know it was a bit chilly, but she was certainly not in any danger.  I felt like a heel though...it was awful.



They quickly put more clothes on her.
What a blessing...I was given a journal detailing her first 2 years.  There were lots of pictures included and at least 2 journal entries a month.  The book is in the process of being translated.  I am anxious to read it all!

There were tiny feet and hand prints...pictures of her each month...



Standing by her crib...we were not allowed inside any of the rooms.

Her picture was on the wall.


Leaving the orphanage for the last time...
Waving bye bye to the director of the orphanage...


Eating a treat at the market.


You could find ANYTHING to eat in the market...John was not impressed...



After leaving Xi'an, we headed to Guangzhou.  Here we are at Lucy's...the famous diner that serves American food.  Sadly, I was so sick the whole week, I couldn't enjoy it.



Such mothering instincts...feeding her baby...





More to come...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the posts! I bet it is neat to look back at your trip :)