Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Good, the long, and the deer in the headlights

Today was a good day. First, I received my new 171-H. (for those not into the adoption lingo, it's a really important piece of paper.) Next, two families from our local support group arrived back from China. I was at the airport to greet them...for a LOOONNNNGGG time. I arrived about 3:20. Their plane was to arrive at 3:50. It ended up being 5:30. But the wait went so quickly...I sat at a table with some other waiting moms talking about the ins and outs of the wait. The babies were perfect. I got to hold them both! They just melted into my arms...neither one cried. How I long for that feeling. It was bittersweet.


This is Tia and her Momma, Carla. Tia is very serious and incredibly sweet!

This is me holding Natalie. Her Momma is a single gal named Kim. I think Natalie is going to be a dentist...she was very interested in my teeth.
This is my all time favorite picture. I look good holding a baby, don't I??? A big thanks to Kim for letting me love on her baby!

After we left the airport, I went to dinner with Elizabeth's family. You have seen her pics before. Susan decided to ride with me so we could chat...and chat we did until I noticed this very large deer beginning to cross the road in front of me. I stayed in my lane, slammed on my brakes and prayed very hard...all in a split second. I actually think that poor deer may have lost a few tail hairs...that's how close we came to hitting him, but by the grace of God we did not. Just for your information, should you find yourself in the same position, stay in your lane, don't swerve, and honk your horne. Swerving is much more dangerous than just hitting the deer believe it or not. Once our stomachs moved from our throats back to their rightful place, we had a very enjoyable dinner - thanks Susan, Dave, John, and Elizabeth! I had a great time!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angie, I don't think I'll forget that anytime soon! I agree the deer is short a few tail hairs!! If it had been me driving it may have been a different story. You did a fab. job of remaining in control and doing some very quick decision making. Good advice about staying in your lane even if you hit the deer.

Thank you for sharing part of your evening w/ us. It was much fun!

Kristen said...

The babies are adorable! You look GOOD holding that sweet little baby. One day we'll have our turn!

From someone who grew up in North Central WI, the land of deer, I understand the heart-stopping moment when you see a deer in front of you. I've hit two in my life - not fun!

Kristen

Erica said...

I CAN picture you holding your baby someday! Those pictures were just too precious! I'm glad you are ok and neither you or the deer are any worse off (not sure about your brakes).

You got your I-171H back quickly! Congrats...I wonder how many more we will need to get during this wait??

Kim said...

I am so behind in my blog reading! I love the picture of you and Natalie together!