Monday, January 21, 2008

You might be a teacher...

If the sight of this...



brings more dread than wonder...
you might be a teacher!

I went outside with my sweet dog, Max, this evening and looked up into the clear sky to see the most beautiful full moon and so many stars I could never begin to count them, but before my mind could comprehend that wonder, I was filled with a sense of total dread. I am a teacher. If you are a teacher, you know what I am talking about...the moon and the weather TOTALLY affect the kids! I can predict a coming storm as well as a meterologist - without looking toward the sky. I can tell you when the moon is full even when it's totally hidden from view.

I am convinced that I was born a teacher - I love teaching, but this year is different...it's my seventh and most difficult year. Every day I am challenged to be more loving and patient than the day before. There are 15 students in my class. Two of those students weigh so heavily on my heart some days that I think my heart might break. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they were placed in my class not by my principal, but by my God...who knows their very sad life situations better than I ever could. He knew that they needed someone to love and pray them through every day at school...and every night at home. They don't trust me...even now...100 days in to the year. They are afraid to love...afraid to be hurt...again. I have to remind myself every day, that it's not attention they are seeking, but love. I think it was Freud who said that...and how true it is of these two children...all children. I know that tomorrow may-and probably will be- a difficult day. I will pray tonight - as I do every night -for wisdom in each situation and for the love of Jesus to flow through my words and actions. Please pray for my class...and especially for these two precious, though difficult to handle and sometimes hard to love, children.

2 comments:

Erica said...

It's the same for nurses and full moons. The only thing I could think when I saw the beautiful full moon over my house this morning was "Thank God I'm not working in the ED today". Every crazy and crazy thing comes through the doors of the hospital on a full moon. I wish someone would do some studies about it, because it really is an interesting phenomenon.

Kristen said...

Oh, yes! Total agreement!
Kristen